Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Purposeful living

I find it interesting to think that sometimes I am not really checked in when it comes to my life. I am not present so much of the time, whether it's because I am running on autopilot or because I am just reacting to the events of the day. Somewhere along the line I got pretty discouraged and quit planning. My guess is the medical stuff both in my life and those around me contributed to this as well as my general laziness. I love talking about planning and changing. I am SO incredibly good at it. The follow through is a different story. Like this blog for instance, I meant well when I started this a year ago and let's just say I never found time for it and consequently it got left in the dust like so many other things in my life.

Now I would be remiss to say that wonderful things never happen if I don't plan them. That is completely untrue. However, I would guess that a little more planning would go a long way. Plans such as financial planning, eating, exercising, biking, cleaning, reading, or doing just about any fun activity (i.e. picking blueberries, pumpkin farms, etc.) might just make life more purposeful. I have spent a great deal of time thinking and talking about the direction I want my life to take, and I have to say I am a little proud of myself. I have started to take steps to make things happen!

I said I wanted to ride the bikes, so we bought the helmets and the water bottles to begin this journey. I said I wanted to start exercising safely, so I bought new shoes, got a heart monitor, and I start training sessions with a personal trainer tomorrow. I wanted to start eating better and I have taken two trips to Whole Foods with another on the horizon tomorrow, and I have done quite a bit of research on the subject. I have wanted to get back into reading and I have read two books in the past month. We are currently reworking our budget to better suit our needs as well. While change doesn't happen overnight, I am definitely feeling the winds blowing in a different direction. Being more proactive vs. reactive makes a difference to me, a big one actually.

I will not just continue on floating along and hoping that I have enough of everything to make it through. I have plans for both myself and our family! There is a life I am meaning to live and its headed my direction...

No comments:

Post a Comment